Re: [Amc-list] cam drive gear for distib

This was disscussed a couple of years ago on this list, and one of the problems found was the machining or harding of the gears iirc. There was a set of inferior gears on the market, how long ago and were did you purcase the gears? I know the dealers that frequent (or use to frequent) had this resolved. And as Larry commented, they are suppose to be a matched set. Just something to check.
Dan Whitehead

From: "edwin atwood" <>

Hi guy's and doll's been away awhile..here's my problem.took my 68 jav sst
to a shop in jax fla. With  a chassis dyno To fine tune a holley fuel inject
sys. He found a few problems before he got to the dyno.it seem's that my
distributer and drive gear [cam]  was shot..also excel coil shot.my question
this engine only has less than 10,000 miles [390 bored/stroked] what would
cause this. talked to few dealers in parts on line and most advice I got was
lack of oil..[dist. did have some slop/play in it] will most likely add
external oil line for timing cover and just replace dist. And drive gear.