[Amc-list] Gone

After a week or so in New York, a couple of days in Miami, and too many hours digging through accumulated catch-up work, I need some diversion.  Last Friday I clicked the "X" bookmark, but the AMC List was gone!  Gone like the Mitchell, Lafayette, Essex, and Terraplane; gone before Daimler and Chrysler went back to the past to hope for the future so no one will need to translate "Frano-American Motors" into "German-American Motors" in future automotive history books.

I clicked today and saw AMC still going: if not strong, still not gone.  With no time to click back to April 27, I'll go ahead into the American Motors past.

Some will say, "I tell 'em to bring it on!"

http://tinyurl.com/3cxszv

Some will say, "I take 'em to AM history!"

http://tinyurl.com/ytz6eo

Some will say, "I take 'AM history' to mean 'long gone.'"

http://dismuke.net/howimages/chryslerimperial1large.jpg

http://www.mulvanemarauders.com/photos/members/garringer.jpg

http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/background/bilder2/24.jpg

Some will say, "I take 'AM' to mean 'Rambler/American Motors.'"

Some will not see AM history as seen in an M-body Imperiador.

Some will not see that a Merpar was a Packardbaker or a Hash.

Some will say, "The past is useless; only the future counts."

Some will sometimes say, "I told 'em to look --- both ways!"

http://tinyurl.com/yrdwh2

When I last read in April, someone had written something of interest:

The current Crown Victoria is still being built on the "Panther" platform that made its debut in 1979 under the then-LTD and Marquis.
<<

It was used for an AM also: a 122.8" "two-off" Vignale by Ghia.  Huh?

Would not that be something like a Packard Dietrich by LeBaron?  Duh!

No, it was more like an AMC Ambassador SST by Lehmann-Peterson.  Yup.

http://www.astonmartins.com/vanquish/lagonda_vignale.htm

And it was more like a styling mule for a production American motorcar

Lincoln Town Car also utilized the "Panther" platform for a number of years, but I think in recent years it may have been revamped
<<

whose frame was, according to Ford's own figures, some 85% new in 1998, with addition of Watts linkage to four trailing (ex-Panhard rod...) arms,  and its 117.7" wheelbase was, of course, later supplemented by a 123.7" "L" model.  Its history will, of course, be longest remembered in caps: THE LAST OLD AMERICAN MOTOR CAR!  Or, of course, it could be in -cabs-.

http://tinyurl.com/2qyayk

Someone also said something suburban; I'll say something about that.  As a model offering in such a body style, "suburban" is generic; as a GM offering, "Suburban" is a trademarked model name in use by Chevrolet and GMC since '36.  Read more about it and sublimate it into your American history word sense.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=46027

Coupe de ville similar: generic carriage body/trademarked model.

Barker built coupes de ville,

http://tinyurl.com/2a8f63

(learn more, at an RM price)

http://tinyurl.com/2ag367

Binder built bigger Bugattis,

http://tinyurl.com/2a4n23

http://www.supercars.net/garages/Duesey/24v2.html

(which were Napoleon-ic too,)

http://tinyurl.com/22ya5o

and a T41 Royale (a Weinberger convertible coupe) bought from a junkyard in NY in the late '30s --- for $350 --- is RM at its best and brightest!

http://www.thehenryford.org/museum/aal/bugatti.asp

(it's funny that it's in Henry Ford's garage now...)

but Binder built big ones that a pre-AMC Renault called Cs-D-V as well,

http://www.leblogauto.com/images/renault_reinastella_binder.jpg

and all Aronde de villes, coupes were built by many more car companies,

http://simcafacel.levillage.org/article.php3?id_article=43
http://simcafacel.levillage.org/article.php3?id_article=37
http://simcafacel.levillage.org/article.php3?id_article=285
http://simcafacel.levillage.org/article.php3?id_article=142

big, small, old, not-so-old, not-so new, and not-so-surprisingly, by GM.

So, to put suburban into context and confusion, Bugatti and Renault used the name coupe de ville for what really was a panel brougham, Hudson and AMC used a name "Brougham" for what really were not brougham bodies, M-B copped a coupe name onto a chop-top sedan, and Cadillac cut a SdV into a DTS with little more than badging.  That makes auto history so much fun.

To put da vile in de ville, simple substitution of sedanca is also fun.

What would you call these cars?

http://www.desoto58.com/dreamcar/pontiac/parisien54.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/3yoemc

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1954/Sedanca/54sednca.jpg

http://www.rrab.com/oct98d.htm

Sedancas --- sedancas de ville.

Sorta.  Now coupe to the chase.

What AMC history do all recall?

While you're thinking, one of the cars in today's ramble has a history that also involves the history of the car that's related to AMC.  Know which one, when, and how?