[Amc-list] spindles, was Re: alternate disc-brake conversion kit

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i don't think this is universally true.  drum brake spindle flanges
> were made thicker in the early '70s to match the thickness of the disk
> spindles with caliper brackets.  i have such a set on my '68 american,
> and while 6" rims needed a thin spacer - 5/16" - to clear with the
> stock spindles, they now have acres of clearance without spacers.  i
> think i could run 6.5" or 7" rims up front now.

I can offer this one data point: on my 1970 Hornet, which came
with drum brakes and SHORT spindles, I had to switch to TALL
spindles. The rotor scrapes on the dust shield otherwise.

The story in excruciating detail:

Amc-list mailing list