Re: [Amc-list] xj: 2wd AX15 tranny

" From: Brien Tourville <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"     R154
"
" This is a robust 5-speed transmission found in the MKIII Supra Turbo
" <http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-supra> and Toyota Soarer
" <http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-soarer> (turbo) up to 2001.
"
" Ratios:
"
"     * First Gear: 3.250:1
"     * Second Gear: 1.955:1
"     * Third Gear: 1.310:1
"     * Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
"     * Fifth Gear: 0.753:1

      * Reverse Gear: 3.180:1

" The AX-15 is a medium duty five speed transmission with an aluminum
" case. It is manufactured by Aisin in Japan and, although they are not
" compatible, the same model transmission is used in some Toyota trucks.

the r150 has identical gears, though of course toyota input and output
splines.

" Transmission
"
"		1st 	2nd 	3rd 	4th 	5th 	Rev
" AX-15 	3.83 	2.33 	1.44 	1.00 	0.79 	4.22
"
"
"
"
"
" AX First to second = 1.50
" R  First to second = 1.295
"
" AX Second to third = 0.89
" R  Second to third = 0.645
"
" AX Third to fourth = 0.44
" R  Third to fourth = 0.44
"
" AX Fourth to fifth = 0.79
" R  Fourth to fifth = 0.79

this isn't right!  i get:

	R154	AX15
	=============
1st:2nd	1.662	1.644
2nd:3rd	1.492	1.618
3rd:4th	1.31	1.44
4th:5th	1.328	1.266

or, viewed the other way

2nd:1st	0.601	0.608
3rd:2nd	0.670	0.618
4th:3rd	0.763	0.694
5th:4th	0.753	0.79

" Wouldn't the car be more 'manageable' in parking
" & such with the AX15 ?

not if 1st was -too- low

" 'Launches' would push the RPMs up -

-way- up

" The R154 boxes I've been finding on the .net all need
" a rebuild - minimum of $220.00 in parts w/o labor.
"
" Prices start $350.00 for a core.

there is that.  otoh a new ford svt 7003z t5 [330 ft-lbs] is over
$1200 at hanlon motorsports.