Re: [Amc-list] Door Locks, Keys

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The matching door locks is an awesome idea!!!
> Very cool indeed.....

My 63 Classic has one key that operates everything, it's
really nice.

When I got my 63 Classic from the scrapyard, it had keys to
the doors but not the ignition or tailgate. I actually cut
them myself.  I had a couple of junkyard ignition switches,
took 'em apart and juggled the little slotted gates and files
keys and got it to "work". Umm, the ignition key is so loose,
from both my craptacular locksmithing and horribly worn out
parts, that the key occasionally falls out onto the floor when
I'm driving!  You can even put the key in backwards, now, and
it works most of the time. In fact a small screwdriver would
probably work at this point.

The hornet also has one key, but I bought all new locks for
that. I cheated.

> I found by accident that my 97 Cherokee XJ key will start my Dakota and vice versa, but the keys won't unlock either of the alternate vehicles :[

There's probably only a few hundre key combos in the old key world. I
know this has all changed with modern keys and newer keyless.

(Old keyless, even up through the 21st century, are shockingly
poor; anything that uses "rolling code" technology is trivially
crackable. Turns out a simple 'back door' is built into the
algorithm!)

>  If they had keyless entry systems I'd be set!!! with one key and two remotes. Bummer.

I agonize over having transistors in my ignition, for aesthetic
reasons. There's something about keyless in an old car that
bugs me (I realize this is like complaining about the loss of
nature in indoor plumbing).

> I've considered getting a key cut with one side Jeep and one side Dodge, but I'm afraid my kid or wife would snap the key off or it would be too frustrating flipping side to side everytime I put the key in upside down.

What a great idea!!!