Re: [Amc-list] T5 tranny ID?

" From: "Garry Nordstrom" <gasnordstrom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" talking about tranny's, , I am putting that 343, dynoed at 408 HP in the 79
" amx, I am going to reinforce the frame but am concerned about the factory 4
" sp and rear end, my goal is to hit the 10's, last run before retirement,
" then to my 79 concord electric car,,,info apprecitaed, I am not that sharp
" on these things.
" Garry

do you already have an amc t-10 setup?  if not, i think your money
would be better spent on a toploader setup.  4sp toploaders were of
course never available on amcs, but the late '70s t150 is a 3sp
toploader and they're direct swaps.  take everything from a 3sp setup,
and a short shaft - eg. mustang - 4sp will drop straight in.

there's lots of parts you can juggle to make the tranny stronger.
see http://www.5speeds.com/toploader.html
start with an iron side shifter case
bigger truck bearings
big block 31-spline mainshaft
jeep gears for wide ratios, deep 1st

the amc20 rear is strong but not invincible.  it can be strengthened
[moser axle shafts for example], but opinions differ as to whether
it's worth doing.  the ford 9" is very bulletproof and there's one
[mustang again?] a close match in width to the amc20 in the gremlin.
there are lots of ratios available [nascar runs them], lots of axle
shaft upgrades [4-wheelers run them]...

thanks to the 4 wheeler crowd, both have a variety of posi diffs
available.

no problem getting hd yokes for big u-joints with either, but there's
a point in making sure the driveshaft is the 'fusible link' in the
chain and breaks before more expensive parts do.

iirc you want an axle ratio that puts you near redline in 4th through
the traps, then work backward for a 1st that gives you the best
launch.  right?  this would be hard to guess right out of the box, but
possible to home in on once you have a few runs to get a feel for the
car's performance.