Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

On Sat, 5 May 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " A: You are talking about regenerative braking through the electric motor? I
> " was thinking a small electric motor at each wheel for regenerating the power
> " and stopping.
>
> i think you might need more than -small- motors for anything but
> gentle stops.  they won't be able to regeneratively brake you any
> faster than they could accelerate you.

The control and management of regenerative braking is extremely
complex. Not only managing the energy generated but managing
feel and switchover and balance between accelleration, no-load
cruise, light braking, hard braking, panic stops, etc. You
can go from any of those states to any other with zero notice
and human safety depends on it working right absolutely every
single time. Plus there's the need for fallback/failsafes,
and the need to integrate all that functionality between a
brake pedal and a gas pedal (assuming you want to do that).

THAT is the part of the Prius etc hybrid setups that I assume
took the most effort, and "all" they accomplished is light
regeneration on partial braking (not to make light of that
substantial accomplishment).

It would be really really hard to do at home.