Re: [Amc-list] 2.73 ratior model 20 carrier

A: '80 to late '86 FSJs came with Model 20 and probably 1/3 of those are 2.73 (Best place to find one is the "economy" model '80 to '83 Cherokees with 6 cyl auto) I wonder if a Torsen Gleason is available for the D44?

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 2.73 ratior model 20 carrier
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "RetroRalph" <retroralph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Armand,
" I scanned a couple pages on the AMC 20 rear-ends with this
type of info
" from Dick Datson's "The AMC Survival Book"  that I have
here.It is 4
" image scans range from 77k to 211K file size I think.
"
" I believe it indicates the 2.73 diff is only is for the 7
9/16" rear end
" for both STD and TwinGrip.  It is not shown in spec for the 8
7/8" rear
" end.  It shows as being 15/41 tooth gears for the 7 9/16"
which must be
" the AMC 15 Rear.

datson's info is incomplete.

7 9/16 is indeed the amc15, but there was a 2.73 for the amc20
as
well, beginning about '76 or so, on a new carrier.  there was
also a
2.56; both are still used in the amc20s in h1 hummers - at
least, the
military ones.

of minuscule importance, there's 3.08 gears in a 'heavy hummer'
[probably the uprated armor model].  i haven't been able to
discover
if they're the same as the jeep 3.07s for the 3-series carrier,
or if
they're a special set for the 2-series carrier, so that the
military
only has to cover one differential.  what's the point?  the
hummer
diff is a gleason torsen, possibly the best posi ever invented,
but
not available on the retail market.  if there was an amc20
3-series
version...  though how a civilian would get his hands on an
ordinarily
military-channel part i don't know, but the 2-series torsens
should be
as close as your local hummer dealer's parts dept.
internet rambler                            is to see what all
have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none
thought