Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Well, after reading a lot on the Jeep conversion, let's revisit some
math.

1. $800 for a good vehicle w/bad engine, preferably  nice small car or
truck w/few (if any) power options. For us AMC guys an American (58-63
would be best IMHO as far as weight and space -- plus the character) or
early Hornet would be prime choices, but don't rule out an Alliance --
except for weight carrying capacity it's a great choice -- rear strut
springs can be replaced with heavy ones. A Gremlin would work if you
ditch the back seat and stack batteries from the passenger floor to the
rear. Would require lots of floor board work though.

2. $6K in conversion components -- motor, controller, batteries, custom
work.

3. So you have at least $6800 in it. Even if you have a vehicle to
convert, let's assume it's worth $800 if you sold it, or would be after
you do some interior/exterior work to get it in driving condition.
Speaking of that, I think it fair to add at least $1K here for a low
cost DITY or Maaco paint job and some interior work. So about $8K total
in the vehicle.

3. Using the Jeep EV site (http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/home.php)
figures, you save $0.08 per mile in operation. With a 40 mile range (a
bit more efficient than a 4x4 Jeep), you save $3.20 for every 40 miles
driven. So in 2500 miles it would pay for itself -- two years of
driving.

4. In 3-5 years (depending on miles driven, figure in 20-25K miles)
you'd have to replace the battery pack at a substantial cost, but
considering ICE maintenance over a three years period that cost is
reduced somewhat. The batteries are around $185 each, or $3,700. I don't
normally spend $3700 in maintenance in 20-25K miles. That's nearly $30K
in 200K miles. I was thinking maybe it would work out if you considered
rebuilding the engine, but no where near it! So knock off another $0.04
per mile of savings, and drive it for four years to pay for itself.

5. I suppose it starts to make sense now, but only somewhat.
Environmentally, electric power production is cleaner than a car engine.
But you have to figure on production and disposal of the lead-acid
batteries, which are hazardous and chemically not that good for the
environment.

6. All in all I think it's a wash at best, both environmentally and for
fuel conservation. So you don't lose anything, but it makes you feel
better because it at least feels like you're doing something for the
environment and to conserve fuel. Just like the current crop of hybrids.
In the long run you'd be better off to buy a smallish vehicle and DRIVE
CONSERVATIVELY (something the EV supporters stress you have to do for
range... nuts don't realize a gas or diesel engine benefits also?). That
would save as much or more. But then there is the "fun factor" of doing
the conversion itself... that's a benefit for us real gear heads!

7. I think it might be best to build a purpose-built electric car,
something like a Lotus 7 or even a rail buggy w/canvas over the rails
for a body. Sporty (though not all-weather) and much lighter than
conventional construction. Or any one of these:
http://www.rqriley.com/plans.html. Cost would be a bit higher, and more
time would be required, but you'd have a more efficient vehicle. Cost
per mile would probably end up about the same.