Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Speaking of a 4x4 Jeep, I recall a hybrid Jeep being mentioned
somewhere. It was 2WD, but had the transfer case w/manual trans. An
electric motor took the place of one of the drive shafts -- I think it
was the front. Put it in 4WD and run off batteries, stick it in 2WD to
run from the 2.5L four and charge the batteries with the 120A
alternator, or put it in neutral and leave the engine idling. I think
the electric motor was sized to run around in town, up to about 40 mph.
The idea was you could run on electric in city driving, then use the gas
engine to cruise where emissions weren't as important. The engine could
even idle while running on the electric motor for minimal emissions and
a little extra battery range. The cargo area had a layer of batteries
under a raised floor, so battery capacity was limited -- a dozen IIRC. I
can't recall where I read about this thing, but sounds like it would
work well as a home-brew hybrid. The motor could even be sized to cruise
on battery power, but since that's where a gas engine is most efficient
it would be a waste. Seems like the best economy would be to use the
electric motor instead of first and maybe second gear, then switch to
the engine for cruising at higher speeds.

Hey, this would work well for an Eagle! Or put a 4x4 front axle in any
car and connect the electric motor directly. There would be some axle
drag, but the motor controller could be wired to act as a generator
while using the engine to keep the batteries up (even engine starting
battery -- eliminate alternator for a little weight savings!). Better
yet, use a light car FWD transaxle in the front so it could be put in
neutral. Hmmm... two gear shifters could be hard to fit in and
confusing! But the engine trans could be an auto with a column shifter
(or four speed manual w/column shifter -- don't connect reverse, reverse
would be electric only), floor shift for the electric. Would confuse the
heck out of a thief/first time driver, but you'd get used to it. Now
that's a usable hybrid!