Re: [Amc-list] Tom J. Any comments on this?

Re: [Amc-list] Tom J. Any comments on this?

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" I never thought about the corrosive possibilties with biogas. How would a small time outfit treat for it?

bubble the gas through water?  corrosive elements oughta be soluble
whereas methane isn't.  well, slightly - there are supposed to be
massive amounts of methane 'clathrates' - methane/ice alloys - on the
deep sea bed.

" I think we are wandering way OT here though!

rambling!

" From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
"
" Thousands of Kilowatt-hours of electric power are
" being generated by waste landfill gas in this country
" today, with both internal combustion engines and gas
" turbines.

companies like fairbanks-morse make diesels already set up to run on
'digester gas'.

i think there's tremendous potential at sewage treatment plants too.

one of my pet peeves is waste collection.  i'd like to see it divided
- as my home town mostly did - into 'garbage' [biodegradable] and
'trash' [non-degradable plastics, glass, metals] but i have little
hope, in a society where people proclaim that driving while talking on
cellphones is a right.

" From: mikebailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"
"
" For those of us in the country, or on the outskirts of urban areas,
" methane production through bio-digestion of farming by-products represents
" the potential of practically free energy. An added bonus is that the
" digested manure and other waste does not lose its value as a fertilizer
" and soil builder.

on the contrary, it's usually better for the bacterial process.
and see my remark above for those of us in urban areas.

" And in the sun belt, solar and wind power are finally
" coming into their own, when used in combination, at least.

many places not in the sun belt are profitably windy.  there's a long
belt off the northeast coast; the high profile nantucket sound wind
farm project seeks to tap it.  cape cod badly needs local power.

[a bunch of rich nantucket mostly summer folk objected vociferously to
something which if they're lucky they could just barely see on a good
day - but few people object to telephone poles.  makes me think of the
joke, the most common complaint on nantucket is that housing prices
have gotten so high, there's no place for the servants to live...]

" Alcohol, bean
" oils, and wood or fiber gas are all possibilities like this too. But at
" least for the short term, some of them are even less clean than gasoline,
" though.

a note - biodiesel is cleaner than diesel, at least high-sulfur, which
is what it was compared to when the research was done a few years ago.
made slightly more power too.

" But, if energy production can be taken out of the equation for fossil
" fuels, with homes, farms, and small business generating a significant
" portion or even all of their own power needs through solar and wind, that
" alone will remove a significant portion of pollution, allowing for time to
" develop better fuel technologies, that could be used for transport and
" emergency energy supply.

you can do a lot with with solar and wind, but you can't fuel
tractors.  good fuel crops for biodiesel production would be a godsend
for farms.

" Energy production is the key to the whole equation, I
" believe more so than with personal transportation.  The use of vehicles by
" individuals can always be legislated upon, if economic factors like the
" price of gasoline don't kick in first.  But Energy requirements drive
" everything else, in an industrial and technological world.

if nothing else, transportation only accounts for half our fossil fuel
comsumption.  working to reduce the other half is at least as
important.