[Amc-list] Re; Another Rear Axle Option

Snip
Yeah, and to top it off IIRC the bolt pattern is 5X4.5" on the Crown
Vics. 8.8"
housing too.
Plenty good as-is, lots of aftermarket parts if you do manage to break
it.
  I wonder what the outside width measurement
Snip

Don't know, but the package makes it look like I should find out.

Snip
 of the lower control arms is?
Would they be close enough to allow them to be installed without a full
crossmember, as in would they fit snugly or cloes to the inside
subframes of
the Ambassador and allow the installation of pockets to mount the lower
control
arms to. Where to the upper control arms mount? Will they clear "things"
with
out intruding on rear seat space? The uppers should due to the fact the
Crown
Vic probably has less space then the Ambassadors and Classics.
Mark Price
Snip

This is where it gets interesting. both the upper and lower control arms
are
attached to the OUTSIDE of the sub frame. Going straight back to the
axle.
 Now it looked like the Crown Vic is a uni-body car so this is what I
envision looking at the parts.

You should be able to mount these parts using a long shoulder bolt run
through
the frame from the inside portion of the box member.
You get a shoulder bolt by obtaining a standard bolt and a piece of
tubing that
is the clearance diameter of the bolt. Drill a hole on the inside frame
large
enough to fit the tubing through with the bolt inside it. The length of
the tube
would be just long enough to butt up against the inside of the outside
frame
and be flush against the outside of the inside frame. Using a washer
large
to take in the surface area of the unibody sheet metal the hole on the
outside
of the outside frame would be just large enough to clear the bolt,
butting the
tubing or pipe between the inside of the outside frame and the washer on
the
head of the long bolt through the frame. The piece of tubing would then
act
as a spacer to hold the dimension of the square sub frame formed by spot

welding sheet metal together.

Outboard from that a U shaped mounting bracket is built to hold the
RUBBER
bushed ends of the Ford axle links and the open end of the U welded to
the
outside sheet metal of the subframe. Thus when the nut is placed the
axle
link is captured at the sub frame and load distributions are spread
through
a larger surface area on the sub- frame.

As all mounting is done to the outsides of the sub frame for the axle
links,
the spring pad is further in on the axle and the coil mounting looks as
if
it would work if the dimensions are correct.

Don't know where the Watkins linkage would fit but I am sure it is not
all
that difficult to noodle it out either.

No back seat or interior interference exists on the Ford and it looks
as if the same thing could be true on coil sprung AMC car.

Food for thought.

Now I gotta go install a power window regulator in the door of my Town
and
Country. And speaking of electric Saturn's, I have to figure out why the

drivers electric window does not go up and down on that either.

John.