[Amc-list] Another Rear Axle option!

Date: Tuesday, May 1, 2007 01:37 AM
From: John Elle <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>

What you described is a standard four link. Along with a Panhard rod it
would be easy to install. There are aftermarket four link kits, but if
the axle is the right width (the 99 LTD is Fox body based IIRC -- sort
of an oversized Fairmont, so it should be close) that sounds like a lot
cheaper way to get everything. It's something I'll have to remember!!

-------------
I spent a few hours in a Police car wrecking yard today
and took a short look at the rear axle arrangement of a
'99 Ford LTD Cop Car.
It had disc brakes, a very simple 4 link rear axle that
looked not unlike AMX torque links in configuration
but unequal length, with the uppers shorter than the
lowers and the lowers were about 18 inches long and
very simply mounted on the sides of the "chassis" with
coil springs holding the axle down. I did not look to see
what was there that did the job of a panhard bar but
nothing on the car looked overly difficult to fabricate.
With the discussions on changing out torque tube
rear axles, this one has not come up yet but sure looks
promising.  The mounting configuration on the sides
of the chassis seemed to be something that would
work on a uni-body AMC type car to me.