Re: [Amc-list] American brakes, pleasant surprises

Re: [Amc-list] American brakes, pleasant surprises

I think the 62 and 63 MCs are Wagner, not positive. The 64 might be a
Bendix. The look of the MC is different between the 63 and 64, but could
still be the same manufacturer. I believe the only difference is the
shape/look and line fitting sizes. That's all I can remember anyway. The
brakes were excellent on my modified Americans.

You are 100% correct! Except for the exterior skin, firewall, and dash,
the car IS a 1950 Nash Rambler. Glass will all interchange with the
50-55 models. The 58-60 has only minor revisions to the 55 facelift. The
58 American is the only car in US history to ever be discontinued then
reintroduced successfully as a "new" model. Even the L-head engine was
reintroduced with it (no L-head for 56-57).

Great parts interchangeability, even with some of the pre 63 big car
parts. Lower trunnions and control arms interchange, but upper trunnions
are different on the American (I believe the arms are the same as big
car though). The only difference in the control arms is the size of the
rubber bushing. The fenderwell "humps" are left-overs from the 50-53
front suspension design. The panel under the fender had a hole in it and
a conical "tube" for a reinforcing rod to run through to the under hood
fenderwell panel. That was eliminated when the upper shock mount was
redesigned, but the underhood panel stamp was never changed -- no need
to.

-----Original Message (edited)-----