Re: [Amc-list] American brakes, pleasant surprises

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> Well, you CAN run 63-64 Classic Six front drum brakes. They have a
> slightly larger wheel cylinder and a 1/2" wider drum, IIRC. My first

Damn, and I sold my restored 9x2.5 setup a year ago!! D'OH!

> I also installed the Classic dual master cylinder and rear
> wheel cylinders to complete the transformation.

Any mods required? Other than line position/fittings? I still
can't figure out what the difference between (say) 1963 and
1964 American master cyl is.

> If you want to go with disc brakes the standard 70-83 Concord/Spirit
> brakes work. Because of the steering arm you have to reverse them (put
> left on right, vice-versa) so that the caliper is in the back, not the
> front, and will have to notch the dust shield to clear components. That
> upgrade was done to my 63 American 440 sedan.

Oh right, that would solve it!

> short wheelbase and pivot line of the steering knuckle. Got to keep the
> Ackerman angle correct! I thought long and hard about how to get 14"
> wheels on there!!

I hadn't thought that 14's would not fit (but I don't want 14's
on this car).

I like this car's stock setup over all, but I can see how it
woudl be frustrating if you wanted to "update" the driveline
and suspension.

> another headache to get steering geometry and clearances in order. So
> there are no easy upgrades.

Don't nobody take this wrong, but this car isn't very AMCish in
some ways -- I assume it's the 1964 redesign that brought more
of it into the across the board parts interchangability. It
really is a 1950's Nash under there.

Which makes it more interesting in some ways. The 63 American
may be the newest oldest car of the 1960's.