Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i wonder if the outgassing might be affected by the amount of charging
> or overcharging, and the sophistication of the charger?  but maybe if
> you want -fast- charging you can't avoid gas generation completely.

There are very smart chargers out there today, and they're
totally worth it if you ever do more than just bring up an
occasionally dead battery. They do high-frequency pulse stuff
to de-sulphate the plates under micriprocessor control and
will never overcharge; they do the proper three-step charge
process. The old Sears or auto store type with a transformer,
rectifier and meter will cook a battery, though I'd use one to
bring up a car after leavin the lights on by accident, etc.

With an electric vehicle it would be in your best interest to
go with the smart chargers.