Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

" I also agree that it doesn't have to feel like an IC driven vehicle.
An
" electric motor with one speed would start to slow and whine like crazy
" at high speed though.

why would an induction or other brushless motor whine?
gears whine.

Okay then, loudly hum. But maybe it wouldn't be objectionable.

Where can a motor capable of hauling a 3000 pound car (would be at least
that with lead-acid batteries, running gear, and two people) from 0-60
in 11-12 seconds, and sustain a cruise speed of 70-75 mph, with a
"surge" speed of about 85-90 (for 10-15 seconds)? That's about econo-box
average for today, not much reason to build something that won't keep up
in traffic. Here's a table that appears to be reasonably accurate:
http://www.eurotuned.com/0-60.htm. An 81 AMC Eagle w/258 four speed is
listed as 15.8 seconds 0-60, right there with a 1980 Chevette. Most of
us would consider that "adequate" at best, and want more. An 83 Cavalier
is down to 11 seconds, about the same as a 94-97 Escort. Anything over
12 seconds would be considered sluggish by most.

I know battery life would be affected, but if you can run 10-15 miles in
traffic to the interstate, accelerate to 60 in 12 seconds several times
(stop lights, getting on the interstate, passing, etc.), then maintain a
65-70 cruise speed for 40-50 miles with enough battery left to make it
to your destination without worry over another 10-15 miles, TWO WAYS,
that should be sufficient for the majority of commuters. Driving more
conservatively would of course increase range.

Regenerative braking would be ideal to recover waste, but the
controllers and wiring are more expensive and complicated. If you can do
the above WITHOUT regenerative braking, you've got a real winner for a
commuter. That would probably be a 250-300 mile total range car, I
think. Regenerative braking would add maybe 15-20% back to the
batteries. As far as creature comforts, just a radio, blower for
cooling/heating, and a heater would be all the accessories -- just the
basics. I can live without creature comforts if there's a little more
than just adequate performance!