Re: [Amc-list] Route 66 was long model names

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, mikebailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Gettin' Molly tuned and polished(whatever bits are still shiny, that is)
> for the Annual Route 66 Fun Run from Seligman AZ to Topock/Golden Shores,
> at the Colorado River bank, on the California border. A laid-back 140-mile
> time on the old two-lane.  T minus 7 Days and counting.
>
> http://www.azrt66.com/

Take pictures!

Aww, I wish I knew about this ahead of time! I would have
worked it in *somehow*.

I'll check it out for next year. Sounds like fun! I picture it
as a collection of pricey overpowered overpampered delicate
street machines all with cooling problems. Maybe I can bring
them radiator water.

Ash Fork (I have a pet name for that isn't printable)
(just a (bad) language pun, no harm meant) is my first stop
on LA to Santa Fe trips; $23.95/night motel. ASH FORK INN;
somewhat heated.  Clean, quiet, concrete block thin towels
no cable no phone. Just an overnight stop. They allow dogs
(my oldest dog loves getting her own motel bed, no joke).)
The more (ahem) 'scenic' COPPER STATE MOTEL, courtyard
style, made from river rocks, owner lives in main building,
very truly old west, is rattletrap 40's, but the heater is a
light-with-a-match and 1" gap under the door. Bathroom... 1945
not updated. Amazing.) local, non-chain Decent breakfast places
on the local loop.

Anyhoo it's a really great area for driving. 66 on the Cal side
is nice too, through the Mojave.

Ideally you'd change jets for the drive (EFI isn't allowed on
66, is it?) but otherwise the altitude is good for your car;
cooler (except when blazing hot then there's the grades).

50 mph; windows down; no radio no fan; no cars on the road. Only
flat things on the ground makes your eyes focus close, everything
else is at infinity. You can, and I have, simply rolled to a
stop, in lane, get out, listen to the silence and take pictures.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/Sep02-Santa-Fe-trip/images/hyyy-050.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/Sep02-Santa-Fe-trip/images/hyyy-052.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/Sep02-Santa-Fe-trip/images/SFe-017.jpg

(in the geographical vicinity, but same difference)
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/place-pictures/images/East-of-Spencer-Hot-Springs.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/place-pictures/images/unknown-road4.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/Assorted/images/LA-aqueduct.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/Sep02-Santa-Fe-trip/images/SFe-017.jpg

(the color here is correct; it's volcanic ash asphalt)
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/road-shot.gif

(this is the infamous mojave phone booth, of blog fame. I scrawled my URL in it
in 1994, so there)
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/Assorted/images/aiken-cinder-mine1.jpg

(not even close)
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/place-pictures/images/San-Benito-Cty-J1-to-Panoche.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/place-pictures/images/unknown-road1.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/Assorted/images/Rt58-E.jpg

(defunct highway stop, ancient hand painted road sign, S. of Prescott?)
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Road-trips/Assorted/images/ancient-road-map1.jpg