[Amc-list] Re; 327 Ramblings (Also I-6?)

[Amc-list] Re; 327 Ramblings (Also I-6?)

I agree with you John! One reason the old 327 was reasonably hot off the
line with 3.15 gears (at least in the 62-64 "short" Ambo) was the small
ports, valves, and carb! Remember, smaller will mean higher velocities
also. High velocity small venturii/ports/valves will mean better
off-line performance -- better/quicker low end torque. So it takes off
great, but runs out of breath over 5K rpm. Like you said, the only way
to make it build more power is to crank it up to 6-7K. The old 327 will
take that (I wouldn't run any stock engine long at 7K, but changing
gears that high on a drag strip should be fine), but what do you gain in
a street car??

Personally I'd clean up the ports (the factory never does a great job --
to much time for a little gain), match them to the intake and exhaust
manifolds, then go to a 600 cfm carb and nice big 2" dual exhausts (or
3.5" single) with a standard turbo type muffler. The chamber types are a
bit loud for a daily driver, I've discovered. That little bit of work
will wake a GEN-1 AMC 327 up quite a bit! The valve work I wouldn't do
unless it needed most of the valves replaced anyway. New guides with
smaller holes are a bit pricey, especially if the head doesn't need new
guides. But if it does need guides and valves, it's not a whole lot more
money to put the smaller stem Chevy valves in. The valve seats won't
wear enough even without hardened seats or induction hardening to worry
about on an occasionally driven car, that's been proven. But look at the
combustion chambers of a 327 -- there's not a lot more room between the
valves. Will a 0.05" larger valve really make that much difference? For
an all-out performance engine it might, but for a mid level street car I
doubt it. The dollars per hp would be a bit on the high side!