Re: [Amc-list] $3.00Gal. Gas? = Get my Butt out of Dodge City=

Re: [Amc-list] $3.00Gal. Gas? = Get my Butt out of Dodge City=

" From: "Kelly Hardie" <ramblinguy.kelly@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" And, speaking of the Prius, where the hell is the plug?

there are prius hackers and hacks, including plugs and extra
batteries.  toyota is firmly against any modifications, probably for
liability reasons.

" All the
" hybrids so far have it backwards. They're building gas engine cars that use
" generators and batteries to make them more efficient, instead of making
" electric cars with an engine to extend their range when needed.

they might plausibly argue that 'parallel' hybrids build on auto
manufacturing tooling, which they have -vast- investments in, but iirc
someone [gm of all companies?] was developing a 'series' hybrid with
an electric transmission.

i agree though; series is the only sensible way to do it.

" If the Prius
" had a plug, most people in LA would have to start the engine about once a
" month. And, why does no one build a electric/diesel hybrid? The railroads
" seem to think they work just fine, since, like the forties?

much earlier.  the first 'mass produced' [eg. more than a dozen]
diesel-electric locos were the alco[1]-ge-ir[2] 60-ton and 100-ton
'boxcabs' introduced in '24, but even the very earliest internal
combustion locomotive experiments were usually on electric trolley-car
chassis.  this is of course using electricity only for transmission.

the first of what you might properly call a hybrid were spinoffs of
the ge-ir [alco was out], made in '30 with a few tons of extra
batteries.  they were used in switching and could produce tremendous
starting power, but even with the engine going full throttle would
run the batteries flat in about 2 hours.  they had their niche though,
and sold much better than their parent design.

it would be trivial for toyota to make a diesel prius; they already
make a diesel version of the engine for the echo/yaris.  i assume
honda is in a similar position.

" OK, I'll put my
" soapbox away. My point is, the technology is out there. We'll get better
" mileage when we're willing to buy it. The Japanese and the Europeans have
" much higher fleet averages in their home territory than what they sell here.
" The European makers you associate with big Bahn burners here have mush
" smaller cars as their mainstay at home.

and nearly half of the european car fleet is diesel, though that's
largely an accident of fuels tax application - in addition to getting
worse mileage, most of the tax is on gasoline giving diesel a
tremendous price advantage.

china may turn out to be a major efficiency driver; they require
something like 35mpg for new cars sold there.

" And, do you think Japan is swarming
" with Titans? Do they even sell them there? But, I said I'd put my soapbox
" away, and I have to work in the morning. Good night...

the toyota fj landcruiser pastiche is a us-only model.  i wouldn't be
surprised if the titan and others of that ilk were too; it's a big
market.

[1] the american locomotive company, based in albany ny iirc; #2
    behind baldwin in steam loco manufacture
[2] ingersoll-rand; they made the engines used in the locos