Re: [Amc-list] 327 ramblings return

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>>
> Isn't there a 1.55" chevy valve? Exhaust? Wouldnt' that fit
> intake better?

There are so many smallblock chebbie valve sizes it's more like what will fit and clear than  anything else!
I don't want to break the bank on this deal either though. But, I gotta believe the 1.406" stock valve is  smalle for a 327 going by just about anyones book.  It likely explains why they stayed with the little Holley carb too! No sense trying for more on the intake if it wasn't getting out!
   Those valve sizes are fine for the 287 and 250 motors, undersize for the 327. I wonder what Kraft Rambler did to their heads? I can't remember if it was ever mentioned exactly what was done. Surely that 400+" motor had some head work done on it!
   If I recollect wuggestions for head work way back when I was little [well, young, never was exactly little!] was no more then 1.94" intakes in motors up to 350" chevies for street/bracket use. The 2.02" valves were more in line with top end motors with limited street use as the heads of the day wouldn't really allow good torque numbers and low end.  All that has changed with EFI and new technology heads.
  But the 327 ain't got none of that fancy stuff ain't goin ta be a gettin any reel soon! So, I figure shoot for an exhaust valve somewhere in that 1.50-1.60" range and an intake somewhere between the stock 1.7" and 194". swirl polished and undercut stems would be nice. Only if they pop up cheap on evilbay or someplace similar!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV