Re: [Amc-list] Off with it's head!

Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 01:49 PM
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Just the rod bearings. It would be way unusual if it is a main. I was
just
figuring on replacing rod bearings with new, but if there is no visible
problems, not much point in it. I don't know what I was thinking!

Yeah, I wasn't planning on touching the mains! If the rod crank
journals are toast (say) then this sort of in-car teardown is
not longer appropriate.
------------------

Not only "appropriate", but "period correct"!! It was common to re-ring
older cars in the 40s and 50s with the engine block still in the car.
Pull the head and pan, drop the tranny, pull the crank/rods/pistons, use
a ridge reamer on the top if necessary, install 0.010" larger rings if
necessary, new bearings and seals, then you're good for another 40-50K
miles. Your's should be fine bore wise, so if a rod bearing is bad, pull
the crank from underneath and leave the rods dangling. Have the crank
turned and stick it back in. That was pretty common too, since there
were no filters on most engines and the oil wasn't as good as today.
Bearings would go before the bore. Remember, that's one reason for four
corner engine mounting and removable crossmembers until 1958-60 in most
cars, though AMC held out until 1963 (64 American)