Re: [Amc-list] 287/327 pushrods

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" Trans, yes, the 287 does use a lighter duty trans then the 327.
" I'm not sure if it will or will not hold behind a mild 327.  The
" converter is different too, IIRC,  the  327  uses  an  engine
" mounted  ring  gear  on  the  flexplate.  287  uses a ring on the
" converter and smaller flex. I hate using IIRC, but I  don't  want
" to  give  the  impression  I  am  100%  sure of this.  I've often
" wondered if the 287 converter is looser then the 327 and could be
" used with the 327 trans.

i don't -think- converters would swap.  we're talking aluminum and
iron warners here.

from what little i've heard about aussie hot rodders, if you could
beef the aluminum warner the way they do it would stand up to the
kind of driving you have in mind.  i have some notes...  and i think
-most- of the parts are readily available here.  all you'd need is a
-good- auto tranny shop with a smart tech experienced with older
foreign cars.

" I think that if you bide your time a 327 will  come  your  way.
" For  what  you  seem to want to do I'd suggest looking hard for a
" 65-68 Vigilante Jeep Truck or wagon. It'll give you  what  you  a
" Block  and  turbo  400 if automatic, bellhousing if standard. I'm
" not real sure of it's trans pattern for the bell though.

3sp were probably side-loader t85/t89 very similar to amc's, but 4sp
would be t18 with a -very- different wide bolt pattern.  and jeep
probably made their own bells, and they're probably bigger than amc's.