Re: [Amc-list] 287 pushrods needed

Solid push rods or hollow won't make much difference. I suppose hollows would be slightly lighter, but very little difference.

I don't think any of the 287s can be bored 1/4". It just doesn't make any sense at all to make an engine with cylinder walls that thick! There is a rumor that some of the early 287s (which would be in 63 models -- the 287 was introduced late in the 63 model year) used the same water passage cores as the 327 with very thick cylinder walls (would have been 3/8"-1/2" thick!), but that's just a rumor as far as I know -- but I could be wrong. I've heard of a couple that were claimed to be bored that much. The only way to really tell if it can be bored that much is to have the block sonic checked. There should be at least 1/8" left in the cylinder walls. It will run slightly thinner, but there would be overheating problems. The old engines were cast much thicker to allow for more core shift and because the technology to cast thinner just wasn't available. I know they can be safely bored 1/8". Maybe you can find some 3-7/8" pistons?? Don't know of anything that uses that size, and c
 ustom
odd size pistons would be expensive.

Porting should help, bigger valves are likely to be more trouble than they're worth. There isn't much room in the GEN-1 heads for bigger valves without shrouding. A shrouded bigger valve is a waste of time. Cleaning up the ports and streamlining them a bit can be a big help though.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"