Re: [Amc-list] truck arms

Just thought I'd throw something new into the mix. For a couple of decades,
front wheel drive VWs and Audis used a dirt simple essentially one piece
rear axle assembly. It consisted of two pure trailing arms (plates,
actually) welded to a piece of u-channel beam for an axle. Anti-roll on the
simplest versions consisted of twisting the beam. On cars where more
anti-roll was desired and making the beam stiff enough would have made for
too much unsprung weight a bar was welded inside the 'u'. Like I said,
simple, light, and could be made to handle very well just ask anyone who got
their clock cleaned at a gymkhana by a Scirocco or GTI. But I digress. My
point is that with the proper materials, this shorter beam, welded at both
ends, would twist all day long for hundreds of thousands of miles, and I've
never seen one fail. Obviously, this is not a solution for a RWD car, but I
believe the beam is somewhat analogous...

Kelly

BTW, they also have a panhard rod, and I have seen one of those break,
though I think that one had been bent by a floor jack first.