Re: [Amc-list] oops bent 'em again again

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " What about... a carb conversion of the 2.5L! Sicko! OK making
> " an intake manifold isn't trivial, but it would be a nice hack.
> " Old-style sort of with new-style parts availability.
>
> you mean like the early ones?  '83 to iirc '86 were carbed, with a
> carter yf.  next step after that was tbi for a year or two.

83-84, IIRC. And as far as I recall, those intake manifolds stuck way
out on the side of the engine too. The real problem is the intake
doesn't have to stick out very far. There's only about four inches
between the 195.6 OHV intake and the spring tower at the closest point.
Anything with an EGR valve will hit it. That's probably why the 71-72
Pinto 2.3L just did fit -- no EGR. With the age of the car you might get
away with pulling the EGR, but most states (especially CA and AZ!) will
check for the year of the engine. Emmission ratings go by the car body
or engine year, whichever is newer.