Re: [Amc-list] AMC forums

>> In a message dated 4/17/2007 11:20:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>> Gremlin1945@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>>
>> Anybody  able to log on to the AMC Forums site? I haven't been able
>> get on since  last Thurs. nite.
>>
>> Ed F.
>> NHRA 15  T/SA
>>
>> The guy that runs it couldn't keep up with the website bills, so it
>> was shut
>> down.
>> Bart
----------------------------

Bart, I'm not positive that's the reason. I received an e-mail from one
of the Forums moderators stating that the problems with the server were
similar to those they had about a year ago, nothing to do with payments.
Could be a money thing though, I only know what I was told. He also
stated it should be back up in a few days.

If not Fran Carpio opened his old Forum back up. The URL is
www.amcforum.net. He's a bit more restrictive as to membership than
before, but it pretty much looks the same as the other one, except no
six cylinder specific area.

For those who are curious, Fran ran the original Amc Forum. He was
threatened with a lawsuit by a vendor who was irate about some
information posted by a member that the vendor felt hurt his reputation.
When Fran refused to edit or delete the post, the vendor threatened with
a lawsuit. Fran found out that he could indeed be held liable for what
someone else posts on his forum since he's the owner. Fran wasn't in a
position to risk having to deal with a lawsuit, so he shut the forum
down. There were other things that people may not have liked posted in
public, and you know once one lawsuit is started others tend to jump in.
Probably wouldn't have happened, and it turns out the threat was made in
anger with no intent to carry it out, but how do you know? In this case
some apologies came later, but by then it was too late.

The forum that is currently down (www.amcforums.com -- can't check from
work, will check on status from home tonight) was started by Brandon
(can't recall last name!) only a few days after Fran announced he was
closing. Fran reopened about six months ago -- roughly a year after
closing. As I stated, this time he's a bit more careful about monitoring
posts and newcomers have a restricted posting period before being
allowed full membership.

It's hard to monitor two forums that look all but identical. If
Brandon's is down, Fran's is there. I mostly monitor Brandon's, but
occasionally check in Fran's. If one of them closed it would be a bit
easier for me, and less time!! But I'm not wishing one of them closed...
there seems to be enough AMCers to go around.