Re: [Amc-list] 1956. Oil Filter Trivia

My replies mixed in with original!

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

> Yeah, it's not a real worry. I am puzzled by the concerns over
> lack of zinc (ZDDP) in modern oils. While it's hard to get
> hard data about lubrication (why is that?!) it does seem the
> zinc is for extreme cases, eg. metal on metal caused by heat,
> hig shear, etc, and not just cold/startup. It just seems that
> in a low-performance, high-clearance motor like the 195.6, the
> gains of modern oils (life, lubricity, stability, blah blah)
> totally outweigh the possible disadvantages.

I don't think it's as much of a concern as the Strokers group believes. It's a concern for break-in for sure, but after that I think it's a moot point for stock engines. Hi-po built engines with high valve spring pressures might run some risk though. Diesel oils have something replacing the zinc since diesels have high pressures on the bearings, but might not be as much pressure as on a cam and lifter. Most car engines do have roller lifters now, but there are way to many older ones on the road that use regular old flat tappets, and to many industrial engines (like lawn mowers) also for oil companies to not have a substitute -- soon if not already. Our government will announce a "plan" on occasion and enact it sooner than companies can react though.

> I have a fantasy of driving this thing to Irvine, 45 miles each
> way, but I do have other cars so it wouldn't be a hard-core
> commuter. I take it slow 60 - 65mph max (to the consternation
> of O.C. drivers, 80mph with cellphone glued to ear, screw those
> people!), it's all flat and level and never gets THAT hot here.
> A good cooling system, ignition and modern maintenence it should be
> fine.

I agree, that's not a long drive at all! The water pump will start leaking before it quits, so you'll have some warning. An hour away isn't to much to just fill it up, drive 30 minutes, stop to cool off then fill up again to get it home if necessary. But you might want to get a spare water pump now -- especially since you'll be running the one that's unknown in it.

> I have a brand-new-in-box MARK TEN capacitive discharge ignition,
> it will take more restraint than I have to not install that! It's
> just too cool!  Complete with manual, warrenty card and window
> sticker! 1974 high-tech!

If the capacitor(s) is still good do it! Would be super cool I think!!

> > Get
> > rid of the stock muffler and put a 2" pipe front to back. Even
> > a modern 2" in/out muffler (not turbo type) will flow more than
> > the stock one with that 1.25" tailpipe!!
>
> It's bigger than that, isn't it?! It is small, also very rusty,
> but it will have to last a little while. It's all intact for now.
> But you're right, even 2" would be an improvement.

It might be 1.5", but I'm pretty sure it's 1.25". I do remember that the head pipe is 1-7/8" -- it fits perfectly INSIDE a 2" pipe. I used the stock headpipe and welded 2" in right after the curve.

> > Don't forget to read up in the TSM on the Twin-Stick --
> > it's really a five speed!!
>
> I drove one before, I really enjoyed it. With these old trannies,
> you don't get to shift fast. With the manual everything, clutch
> pedal, two levers, you just move along in city traffic... at a
> slower pace, not so much HP, as overall pace. I drive slower
> in my 63 Classic, not because it's slow, but because it's a
> total pleasure to drive this big, silent, smooth, soft-sprung
> thing... luckily I'm enough of a curmudgeon to willfully
> ignore all the in-a-hurry losers around me not enjoying their
> drive. Their lifestyle choice, not mine!
>

> Hey, maybe you know... mine's got a vacuum switch, mounted on
> the passenger side inner fender. Two wires run into the harness,
> a steel line and hose runs to the manifold. It's not in the 62
> TSM, and I don't have one for 63 (yet). Any idea what it's for?!

The Twin-Stick. Might not be in the stock location? I'll check the 63 TSM when I get home if you like -- send me an e-mail if you need me to do that. I know there is at least one vacuum switch on the Twin-Stick.