Re: [Amc-list] HEI distributor in AMCs

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i agree completely.  i've also heard to avoid the '75 hei.
>
> my '68 199 has some tens of thousands of uneventful miles on its hei.
> this was salvaged from a junkyard and 'reconditioned' by soaking
> overnight in marvel mystery oil.

Yeah, maybe in 1980 you'd avoid them, but today even in a
died-by-the-side-of-the-road situation, HEI parts are plentiful
-- good luck finding points in stock at AutoZone! Yes if it
breaks, points can be repaired with a pair of pliers, but over
all HEI (or other electronic) will require less work, fiddling
and repairs average over just a few years.

(I carry a spare Duraspark module in both cars that use it.)