Re: [Amc-list] HEI distributor in AMCs

" From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" IMHO those Chevy guys don't know what they are talking
" about.  1975 was the first year GM used the HEI in
" Chevy sedans.  That particular year of distributor had
" balance weight bushings which wore out quickly and
" affected timing.  Also, some of the early modules were
" affected by heat I think.  GM quickly remedied those
" ills and the HEI has an excellent reputation.  40,000
" to 45,000 volts really makes a difference in the
" ability to fire a spark plug.
"
" And why else would a company like DUI adopt that
" design for an aftermarket line of distributors?

i agree completely.  i've also heard to avoid the '75 hei.

my '68 199 has some tens of thousands of uneventful miles on its hei.
this was salvaged from a junkyard and 'reconditioned' by soaking
overnight in marvel mystery oil.