Re: [Amc-list] oops bent 'em again again

Re: [Amc-list] oops bent 'em again again

I can't even remember everytime I would walk down to the shop at the dealer my dad still works for on a Saturday afternoon to watch him do a ring job on some old Rambler.
  He still lives about 150' up the road behind the shop.
He'd have the car jacked up 3' in the front, crossmember pried down and blocked, head off and covered in old oil and grunge. I'd lay on a creeper aand watch, mayb pull the blocks when he pried the crossmember down to release the tension before reinstalling it.
  He never used a torque wrench on the heads either. He just did it by feel, new guy started once and called him out on it, He told him, go ahead put a wrench on it and if they are off by more then 5 lbs I'll use a wrench. The guy did and they all were within a few lbs of being right on the money.

   While you have the head off it'll be easy to pop the valves out and clean them up if they rusted.
   If anything looks scary, you can always regroup and pull the engine for a total.

   Makes me want to take a set of heads out for my 327 and get them ready to go on.
The only thing is which set???!!!....
The 37K set has bolts and studs snapped off in them.
The 60K set is on the flood car, no idea of how good or bad they may be.
The 106K set from the conv are laying outside under a lean too. rusty and worn.
The 65k set on the complete 287 that I don't really want to tear apart.
The 54K or so set off my brothers Marlin, if I can talk him out of them!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>