Re: [Amc-list] 65 classic 327 auto

The 327 drivetrain is a model 20 rear axle with two piece driveshaft. It's plenty strong, just retorque the axle nuts. The trans is an M-8 (there was no M-10 used by AMC). Nothing wrong with it at all, but it cna be hard to find someone knowledgeable enough to rebuild it and there are no speed parts for it. The 65 modles have a throttle cable AND a vacuum reference device (not a full vacuum modulator). Both have to be connected and the cable free and adjusted properly for the trans to work right. you can lengthen the cable (it pushes in when throttle is applied) a turn or two at the clevis and get a little harder shift. More than two turns and it will downshift at to low a speed ("passing gear" comes in to early) or it won't shift into third until you're going way to fast. Might be okay for the drag strip, then readjust for regular driving.

The 327 is no powerhouse, but it's no slouch either. It probably has 3:15 gears, but may have 2.87. I believe 2.87 was stock, with 3.15 the optional "performance" gear. Most hardtops I've seen have the 3:15s, but it was a n0-cost optional gear. There are no speed parts for it. I'd run dual turbo mufflers and 2" or 2.25" exhaust with an open free-flow breather. The stock exhaust is rather small and quiet, you'll definitely notice the freer breathing parts! The stock cam can be sent off to be reground a little hotter, but I wouldn't get crazy with it. Another 0.010" lift and another 20 degrees duration will pep it up without stressing it much.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"