Re: [Amc-list] Engine Vibration

Izzy,

Engine vibrations can come from a number of causes.
It is difficult to diagnose the cause based on second
hand information....difficult for you, and difficult
for anyone on the list to do it by remote control.

If the engine is newly transplanted, of course, have
the "crew" check the motor mounts for proper
installation and condition.

A vibration upon acceleration can often come from a
misfire, so make sure the spark plugs are clean and
properly gapped and check the condition and
installation of the entire ignition system, especially
the plug wires and distributor gap.  Check the point
gap if the distributor still has points.  Check the
timing and how the centrifugal advance works.

Check for vacuum leaks, since the engine could be
running lean on acceleration (although that will
ususally cause a backfire through the carb, which you
did not mention).

The vibration also be fuel related.  Inadequate flow
from the accelerator pump on the carb could be cause
my an inadequate pump stroke or defective pump.

If they really want your help, and you feel qualified,
you should go to the car or have it brought to you.

My $0.02.

Joe Fulton