Re: [Amc-list] Rears

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
"  -------------- Original message ----------------------
" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
" > " From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
" > "
" > " []
" > " S10 2wd axle is 54" wide
" > " American axle 56.5" wide
" >
" > you must mean -55.5"-
" >
" Nope! I mean 56.5" I had it pegged at 56" for a long time, but the last
" credible report I got was from a guy over at the AMC-forums. He used a
" plum bob to mark two points on the concrete under the rear of his car
" and measured between the points. He said it was with drums in place.

aha!  -track- is 55.5" -- but that includes wheel offset.

"   I excluded the dart axles as I am promarily interested in "modern"
" disc brake equiped axles.

'93-8 zj disks bolt on to the tj/xj/yj 8.25" with only a little
tweaking.  i think this would apply to any 8.25".  btw these disks
come from a d35 rear, but the '91-up c-clip version has mopar housing
ends.  the brackets won't bolt onto an amc15 or even an older d35,
which has amc20 ends.

" Plus I don't want to end up with a worn out
" unit that needs a total overhaul, gears, posi and disc brake swap.

there is something to this.  you're talking about swapping gears
though!

" If I was talking old school, I'd include the Mustang 8" and Maverick
" 8", both good candidates for fit and function.

both a little [1/2"] wider than the american or dart rear, afaik.  the
perches are in the right place +/- a fraction, though.