Re: [Amc-list] Next project on 66 American

Re: [Amc-list] Next project on 66 American

Jay,

The brake lines are different since the Wagner master is longer than the
Bendix master. AMC switched to the Bendix type mid year 67 and I don't
think they changed anything other than the brake lines but this may have
been when they switched from Wagner to Bendix drums.

The lines that are different are the two running to the warning switch
on the passenger side of the firewall. Also, the Wagner master cylinder
is a step bore design which means you get different pressures at the
front and rear. You may run into problems getting the proper brake
balance since I don't think there are as many choices in wheel cylinder
bore size for Wagner drums as there are for Bendix drums. If you want to
give this a shot, let me know off list. I have the properly bent brake
lines you need (in stainless) left over from the 1968 line set I bought
from Inline Tube.

Also, you may want to take a look at
http://www.mattsoldcars.com/1967american/brakeordeal.shtml which lists
almost everything you could possible need for brake parts for your car.
Not listed are new/rebuilt master cylinders (they are no longer
available), self adjuster parts (I got mine from Kennedy American), the
resting blocks on the drums (the above page lists a source for them),
and drums (mine were fine so I didn't look for them).

Matt

Jay wrote:
> I will be doing rear brake cylinders after finishing with the engine repair.
> I am planning on replacing the 2 back cylinders and the rear flexible hose
> feeding them. I also think I had better replace the master cylinder while I
> am at it. It is a Wagner unit and the front and rear feed outlets are just
> reverse of the Bendix unit. I just so happens I have a new/remanufactured
> Bendix type M/C in my spare parts that has never been used yet. Probably
> bought it for a spare on my 66 AMBO which I no longer have. Anyway, is there
> any reason why I can't use the Bendix M/C on my American?
>
> Jay in FL.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com