Re: [Amc-list] ? bored yet ? tell me a story, I'll go first!

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I guess the days off Q-time thing must be striking deep into the ranks, er, the server is down?
> Geez, it's quiet here! Home and online!

I think you busted it Mark!

>   My other thought is that sometime between now and my
> retirement I would like to do this American "right". It's a
> great 10 foot car now and phots real well, but it could be
> better. Someday I'd love to restrip it and mount the new doors
> and fenders [well, still need a drivers side]. maybe some mine
> tubs and redo the right 1/4. ...

Maybe it's, the closer you get to super double-plus good,
the more you think about how it could have been better...

I think everyone who's built a car has done that calculus... my
thoughts on it -- worth what you're paying for them -- is to
leave it as it is! "Improvement" is what the NEXT project is for!

My Hornet has many flaws (cheap paint and body work, not
the transmission I wanted, etc) but for the first time ever
I *decided* up front the level of detail I wanted for this
car and pretty much stuck with it. I'm glad I did, and I have
lapses of insanity (replace carb with EFI -- bad idea) but I
so far have come to my senses.

I've done two "shiny" cars in recent history, my super deluxe
75 Gremlin (a guy named John from Florida bought it, I wonder
where it is now) and this Hornet. I've done two "beaters",
my 63 Classic and Josh's 72 Hornet. When all is said and done
I agonize over flaws in the shiny ones, worry about scratches,
and generally enjoy them a tiny bit less.

Joe's dragging the long-anticipated 63 American down here
tomorrow, and I think I'm gonna make it a 100% solid "beater" (to
swipe the hot rodders word). Totally up to snuff mechanically,
but no real worry about "stock" or making it shiny.

Anyways, "DONE!" is a good thing for any project. Take the
next one to the next level of prefection, and DRIVE the one
you've got! Making is fun, but so is drivin 'em.

>   If it wasn't for Dick Datson and his rag and "books"
> my American would have a small block chevie in it, sad but
> true! When Dicks rags came, I started to realize that going
> that route was not "right" for me. A turbo six sounded way
> more cool! I've never got to the turbo, migarted instead to the
> realization that a foot on th efloor straight line performance
> car no longer fit my "needs". Peoples cars like Franks wagon
> and a couple others led me to the 4.0L efi frontier. That
> is the route the car has taken.

I'm glad for it too; never mind the Brand C taint, it's just a
hell of a lot cleaner, visually and conceptually. It's a hell
of a lot more subtle, and probably as fast as small old V8 anyhoo.