[Amc-list] ACID FREAKS : "Where's 'Dippy' ?"

[Amc-list] ACID FREAKS : "Where's 'Dippy' ?"

I'm currently stripping down a '71 Javelin for a ground-up
restoration.
I'm researching acid-dripping the body vs. media blasting. Any
comments or
advice? Thanx.

Ray

<>

I'm guessing your reasoning for 'acid dipping' or one of those
I'mmersion Tank' rust removal companies is that your '71 is sporting
typical AMC 'red beard' - go here & view their slide show:

http://tinyurl.com/qjhhe

strip your shell - pressure wash the grime off it -

dig a hole in the ground as a catch basin for a
sump pump - cover ground with large water proof plastic tarp -
push a bucket into the tarp / sump pump hole - plastic sump pump into
bucket.

shop for those 'sprinkler' type garden hoses - lots of holes in a
flexible plastic hose - and a pair of those lawn sprinklers that
rock an arc of 160 degrees or so and some connective garden
hose 'shorts' to complete the circuit.

4 empty 55 gallon drums & two 4x4s from Lowes will perch the
car shell above the tarp - or - simply roll the car onto the Tarp!

It'll take 7 to 10 hours of 'flooding' to dissolve all the rust
inside channels and out - snake that sprayer hose into the
front subframe & everywhere else.

once you get the hang of it you can develop 'wands' to go
into the smaller channels to clear any corrosion there.

this won't dissolve undercoating - but AMC never had much
to begin with.

www.corroless.com

This is the paint used for the North Sea Oil Rigs -

FAX them a request for their PRODUCT CD -
they don't answer eMails.

They've paint for 'boxes' that continues to emit
a rust killing vapour - nice for channels - and
paint for a base coat for everything else.

Since you're going to attempt to make the car
last - the industrial rust killing / prevention paint
base is the way to go.

Media Blasting - plastic for Aircraft - was developed
by a person in  the neighbouring Town of Montgomery NY
and will not destroy crease lines - panel curves & such -
this is the best way to go.

I am against 'Acid Dipping' - Caustic Solution 'Dips - as
you can never neutralize the materials caught in crevices
& channels - and they migrate with humidity - bubbling
paint   & rotting from within over time.

The above is what I am beginning with my Kammback this
building season - with AMC, if you plan to keep the car alive
it is the only way to proceed.

If you take the task on & have a Digital camera - let us know
where we can view your progress !

Bt