[Amc-list] Radiator Cap, exploded battery, welding without gloves

[Amc-list] Radiator Cap, exploded battery, welding without gloves

My shop partner was making a custom exhaust system for his Miata last
spring. Had mocked everything up and decided to start tacking it together,
phone rang, he walked over took his gloves off to answer the phone, walked
back across the shop and thought to himself, "I'll just tack these last two
spots and grab the gloves before I finish weld it". Of course thinking
nothing bad would happen.

A large drip of slag fell off and landed directly on his wedding ring, if it
had been his skin it would have bounced right off. It hit the gold band dead
square in the middle bonding to it and heating it to several hundred degrees
instantly. We got it off within 30-40 seconds, but it took quite a bit of
skin with it.

He's a very good welder with plenty of experience that made a bad choice
that he could have gotten away with 99.9% of the time.

Being overly comfortable can be a dangerous thing and we learned a very
valuable lesson from this incident.

AMC content: A Miata has only two seats just like my AMX, otherwise they are
quite dissimilar.

~J