Re: [Amc-list] EFI install on [anything modest]

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> For a fee of course, several shops used to burn custom proms.
> These would ignore oil sender feeds and use non controlled distributers, plus many other features.
<snip>

I know about those companies but the oil sender feed is worth the extra
work (GM just T'd two different sending units together in a lot of
applications). What it does, is shut the fuel pump off if the oil
pressure drops below a set amount. When you first turn the key to RUN or
START, the ECM makes the fuel pump run for 15 or 20 seconds to allow the
engine to start.

The TBI systems really are simple and easy to work on but you absolutely
need to have factory level manuals to work on them. When I was undoing
some farm repairs on a S-15 my younger brother had (the fusible links
blew and all that nasty electronic stuff *and* the ignition switch got
wired around), the fuel injection wiring was pretty straight forward to
troubleshoot and fix. There is a lot of wiring but it's all color coded
and the GM manuals are very good. The downside, of course, was cost. I
had to replace all of the sensors except for the temperature and oil
sensors, the ECM, and rebuild the throttle body. The parts bill was
about $600.

BTW, if anyone is curious about the level of work done to this truck
before my brother got it, let me just say that it had fuel hose plumbed
into the rear brake line and that was one of the better repairs.

Matt
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH