Re: [Amc-list] EFI install on Eagle

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Russell Neyhart wrote:

> I have a question for those of you that have installed EFI on your
> inline 6s. When you switched to EFI, did you eliminate the manifold
> heaters? I re-taped the front connection and over a period of a few days
> of not driving the car, the thing has leaked again. Perhaps the car is
> upset that I haven't driven it? Also... the thermostat outlet has a 3/4"
> hose fitting while the (leaky again) intake manifold fitting is 5/8".
> Does anyone have a clue which one is not the right part? Was there a
> screwy hose with two different I.D.s on each end? Thanks so much.

On that water-cooled intake...

I havent' yet done EFI, but I like to think of the intake
as water-cooled, not water heated. Basically it's temperature
STABILIZED.  Rather than  cooking over the manifold heat in slow,
hot traffic, then cooling randomly in cold highway traffic,
it's at a more or less constant temperature.

The electric cooker that sits under the carb is surely not
needed for EFI I would think; I assume that's for cold-weather
startup carb emissions.

Whatever slight disadvantage the water-jacketed manifold might
have when it's cool out (where it might contribute a tiny
amount to mixture cooling) I think is greatly offset by tune-up
stability overall. Likely the EFI computer compensates for any
effects it has.

I'm assuming all-weather street driving, not racing which would
have different criteria I know little about.

The do seem to corrode at the water nipples. Dissimilar metals
(aluminum manifold, brass or steel nipples) but I think the
real culprit is lack of coolin system maintenance.

My junkyard unit was in fine condition except for the nipples;
after cleanup they were too loose from lost metal corrosion. I
JB Weld'ed in new nipples.