Re: [Amc-list] 196 rebuild kit

Mark has given you probably the best source for 196 rebuild parts. Galvin's (www.ramblerparts.com) or Blaser's (www.blaserauto.com) may have some. What you can't find at Kanter definitely check with them! The engine can be safely bored for the biggest pistons you can get -- 0.040" used to be common.

Yes, it's an M-35 air cooled transmission. There is no lock-up torque converter and it can't be  modified for one. It can't be modified for an external cooler either. The cover plate in front of the bell housing MUST be in place for it to cool correctly, and the TV cable MUST operate smoothly. You should be able to move the cable in and out easily by holding the end with two fingers. The cable pushes in as the accelerator is pressed, and should bottom out at WOT. With the carb at idle position (not fast idle) adjust the clevis until the pin easily slides in and out -- a loose pin fit. Then adjust it two turns longer. For a litle harder shift you can adjust a third turn, but that's about as far as you should go.

Lock-up converters weren't common until the late 70s or early 80s. The only trans I know of built before that with a locking torque converter is the old Packard Ultramatic. There are not other transmissions that will fit except other Borg-Warner AMC autos. The bell housing comes off, so a later M-37 or M-40 can be used, but none will have a lock-up. The converters are very low stall for the 196, I don't think you'll miss having a lock-up converter.

It would be interesting to see if an AW4, which also has a removable bell, would bolt to the old M-35 bell housing. Even if it did there would be one serious problem -- the starter ring gear is made onto the converter of the M-35, not on the flexplate. As far as I know all auto trannys used behind the 196 have converters with the ring gear on them. I've never seen anything but an M-35 or M-8 behind one though.

-------so, i got this rambler mentality infected into my next
door neighbor. thrusday night, we did the 90 mile
drive to oklahoma city and picked up a 61 classic
cross country. he paid 450 for it. 196/flash-o-matic.
i think that is the m-35 correct? anyway. head had
been taken off and machined. hardend guides and seats
installed and everything. looks really good. new
trunions. new wiper motor. new all kinds of stuff.
however. the cowel had been left uncovered. the engine
itself is SHOT. i have another 62 classic sitting out
of town with a 196 in it. going to use that lower end,
with his head. i can not find any main/rod bearings.
or a timing kit. basic rebuild stuff for the 196. can
anyone point me in a direction for main and rod
bearings atleast? he plans on later doing that 4.6
stroker kit in it with maybe a 5 speed or a later auto
with o/d. also, another question. the torque converter
that would be on this. does it have a lock up rpm? if
not, does anyone know what else would fit that would
have a lock up on it? i do not like auto's and never
have. dont know much about them. thanks for the help
and time. hope everyone is having a good weekend.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"