[Amc-list] Trademarks

John,
I'm not saying that if you spend tons of money, you can't make a FWD car
perform. I'm saying, show me a factory showroom, FWD performance car.
Don
---------------

You mean like the R-5 Turbos from Renault? Yes, the little "LeCar" with
big meats and a turbo. What about the Alliance GTA, and VW Golf GTi?
More handling than straight line performance, but neither were bad from
0-60 either. The VW Scirrocco was a hot autocross car for a while in the
80s.

They are out there, and they handle well. You do, however, have to use a
totally different driving style. You can't hang the back end out like I
did in a bud's 84 Trans-AM -- drifting 2/3 of the way around a traffic
circle ("roundabout") that is big enough to play softball in the middle.
But if the back end does get loose, who cares? Just keep those front
wheels pointed in the right direction! I learned to handle an old 74
Honda Civic very well on a dirt road. Sliding turns were great! Power
up, start a slight turn, push in clutch, pull up hard on park brake,
then pop clutch and power out! That's MUCH easier in a FWD car than a
RWD, let me tell you!

As far as straight line performance, rear drive is definitely better.
It's hard to control traction in a FWD car, that's where some of the AWD
units come into play though. The primary drive/most power goes through
the front wheels on many, with the rear wheels having a skimpy looking
diff just to help the front ones out in a pinch. Older Subarus are that
way, as well as the small Honda SUVs.

At least the Alliance GTA inclusion kept this AMC related!! ;>