[Amc-list] WTB: 1964 196 ci OHV iron head in Michigan

[Amc-list] WTB: 1964 196 ci OHV iron head in Michigan

Spro, the only thing helpful I can tell you is that the OHV cylinder
head didn't change from 1956-65. At least I can't find any differences.
The aluminum block head is slightly different, but a standard iron head
can be modified to fit. Basically a 1/4" thick strip needs to be welded
or screwed and epoxied on the right side of the head then have it milled
flat. The AL block is slightly wider and needs the room to seal the
right edge. AL block heads are still iron, no AL heads were sold to the
public, and can be used on an iron block. You'll have to use the rocker
arm/shaft assembly from the iron block head though -- I don't think the
AL head rockers have adjusters on the end -- it's been a long time since
I saw one though, so I'm not positive. You do have to keep the solid
lifters though, the AL block hydraulic lifters won't work in the iron
block.

The most likely reason for a cracked head on a 196 is not re-torquing
the head every other year/15-20K miles. It HAS to be done to prevent
blowing the head gasket, period. The TSMs state once a year or every
12K, I believe, but from 14 years driving one as a daily driver and
averaging 6K (4-8K) a year, I can tell you that every other year/15K is
enough. It needs to be done every other year even if only a few miles
are put on it during that time. A show only car MIGHT get by with every
4-5 years, but I wouldn't try it -- to easy to forget. Running hot after
blowing the head gasket is the direct reason for the cracked heads --
running hot every 4-5 years and replacing head gaskets for the last 40
years takes a toll! I think the slightly harder material (higher nickel
content -- it's less than 1% over gray cast iron, but it doesn't take
much to affect the metal properties) is detrimental in this case -- the
overheating and age make it a bit more brittle over 30-40 years than a
slightly softer material would be, though I don't know how much.

When you get another head, the first thing to do is have it checked
(magnafluxed) for cracks. Then check for level. They can be cut a good
bit, and usually aren't more than 0.020" off.

If by odd chance this is a flathead head, all 195.6 heads from 50-65
interchange. The kicker is the combustion chambers are different sizes
for the smaller ones (172.6 and 184). I'd limit the search to 54-65
195.6 engines. There were some 2V and dual 1V carb heads made in the mid
50s, but only for a couple years (53-55 era, used in the Statesman only
-- hard to find now!).

Date: Monday, March 19, 2007 11:46 PM
From: Mark Anthony Sproviero <msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It would seem that the wife of one of my wheeling friends up in Vassar,
MI has a Rambler in need of a cylinder head.  Anybody have any leads?