Re: [Amc-list] Trans-Am Memories

Armand

Snip
Oh Yeah great site, I posted this same site a few months or something
back.
I'm thoroughly impressed. I love those pictures of the 1970 Number 6
Penske
prepared Donohue driven Javelin. That car is the pivotal machine that
put
AMC in the Trans AM lap of domination.
Snip
About 10 years or so back I went to one of these races in California to
watch
the Trans Am Cars run. I never had a chance to see them run live in the
'70's.
There are certain "gentleman" rules to be followed and certainly
different
drivers had different agenda's as this is a hobby for many of these
people.
I met the then current owner of the Number 6 car and had an interesting
conversation with him at the time. That car was not driven aggressively
that
day. However there were others there that were and for 10 laps, the
Trans Am
series was re-lived. It is quite a sight to see a collector level
original
Trans Am race car at full song driven in anger. Dirt tracking through
the
corners in a manner that was quite appropriate in their time as the
tires
used today, have and had the same characteristics that the tires did in
1970.
If you get a chance to see these cars live, go! It is well worth it.
The Moore Mustang just beat the '71 Javelin at the last turn of the last
lap.
It was a drag race to the end and as the Javelin was in the wrong lane
he used
the escape route to whoa up just past the start finish line. It coulda
gone the
other way too!
John.