Re: [Amc-list] AMC production figures (was 72 Javelin)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> I think the reason AMC didn't keep specific details on each car is
> simply because it wasn't necessary nor useful to the factory.

I think the reason in detail is, the cost of tracking those
details was, or was perceived to be, higher than the value they
got from it.

Today a database captures every single car made down to the
ashtray and hubcap (sic). Many of us here could rummage through
a million entry database and find trends ("90% of black cars
were ordered with leather seats" type crap).

I don't know, but I suspect factories today have done all
this trending crap (though still come up with wrong answers)
and determine what dealers get. Today, markets are tuned to
single percentages; in ye olden days there was a lot of room
for growth and data was expensive to gather, and if in fact
factories were getting their market data from dealers, there
must have been lots of errors.