Re: [Amc-list] 1972 production figures

RE:1972 production figures

The AMC production figures are not lost. Buried Yes, but not lost.
What there was an AMC/Nash factory car collection , about 50 cars plus
the microfiche of the bills of ladling for all the AMC cars were
turned over to the
Chrysler achieves. if you keep asking enough people the same question
over and over
and are willing to wait long enough you have a probability of finding
out how many of your car
were built.

I will not look up any web addresses or do any of the leg work but
here's a give me .
Try ron.kowalke@xxxxxxxxxx , Ron Kowalke, editor of Old Cars Weekly
in Wisconsin. These are the Krause publications guys and they did
extensive work on production figures
for there Standard catalog books on old cars and came up with a lot
of numbers when I was working on the Nash, Rambler & AMC
part of the project for them in the early 80's.Rumor is they want to
update the Standard catalog series as they are all out of print now.
Being in Wisconsin they are fairly AMC braised in favor of AMCs. Also
check with the Amos publishing people , Cars & Part & Muscle Car
Enthusiast. Also with a favorable out look and coverage of AMC. Last
Hemmings in probably the Classic Car mag or Muscle Car mags also
favorable to AMC and they have recently come up with some late
Javelin figures I'm not seen before . Lastly Chrysler at there
historic achieves with the museum in Michigan has a form you can fill
out and ask them questions and they will look it up and see if the
have the information you seek. I believe  there is copy of the form
on the Museum web site. I have one , but don't know where it is right now.

Lastly you have to understand some thing about AMC production
figures. As I just sent a bunch to Brian Yacino of AMCRC I've gone
over a lot of recently. AMC did a sloppy job of keeping production
figures. The later it gets the less they wanted to acknowledge any
figures at all. In the end AMC was not even willingly posting monthly
production figures, so as to not let any one know how low a lot of
there production was getting. If they had not been building
JEEPS,Renaults and latter Chryslers AMC probably would have been out
of business in 1982.The figures they keep were originated to how much
of what are we going to build this year based on last year. I will
give you an example , on my 1964 Rambler American convertible. I know
form the full 1964 production figures that  256 Americans got the 2
tune blue interior of my car. But I don't know if some where 440
Hardtops instead of convertibles, and I have power steering and A/C
with console bucket seats. It only lists how much of a percentage of
total American production for color, A/C and power steering. I don't
know if that color of blue interior was put in only my color blue
car, other colors of blue and white cars. I could have a one of one
convertible but form the figures you can't brake it down that way.
Enough, good luck , you may find a figures as some odd figures like
that were kept. Larry R. Daum