[Amc-list] 'Ghost' Rider or raided ?

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] drag racing a 62 classic custom 2 door...

i have gotten a second 62 classic custom 2 door
identical to the one i already have. some of you have
seen it and what i have done with it. i have a real
good friend who drag races. he has gotten me to
thinking really really hard about making this other 62
classic into a street/strip car. it has been sitting
in a field for about 25 years i was told. i got it for
a few parts for mine. paid $50 for it. they have title
and all for me. will put a new 2x3 channel frame under
it. triangulated 4 link i already have for the current
car not yet installed. build a roll cage. gut out most
of the interior. carpet, and 2 aluminum drag seats.
build a 360 like carcraft magazine did. the car will
need more work to get it in a regular driver condition
to be safe on the road than it would to go and build a
new frame under it and just build it for drag racing.
leave all the glass and lights and all for a bad ass
street bruiser on occasion. motor would be around 10-1
compression so would be only occasional use on the
street. i thought that would be pretty cool. my buddy
really thinks i could get lots of interest in it at
the track he races at. right on the end of town here.
what is everones opinion?

dave stohler
2 ramblers. 1 decision....

<>

Many here are 'Vets' to that Racer Build Jones, ......
correct me Gentlemen, but isn't this the 'Classic'
first symptoms?

oK! Stand at Ease !..........;)

[just got a fund raising letter from my
NYMA military High School....... I miss
those days .........]

Stohler!

........here's what I think about this 2 Ramblers
in the yard:

First - secure that field Rambler with documentation
so you can plate it later on.  Only Good Rambler is
a Dead Rambler cause we can then buy 'em on the cheap .....

Second - visit this website:
 http://tinyurl.com/qjhhe

set it up right, you might make some money from other
car guys - thus funding your new Addiction!

Third - you have The Source for drag racing AMC here on this
list in Pres. Jock > Mr. NAMDRA <:")'

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA     NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 53168 (262) 843-4326
          JOIN NAMDRA, the best AMC club around!!
'07 AMC NATIONALS - Sep. 6-8, 2007 - Cordova Dragway Park, Cordova,
IL
AMO#19, NAMDRA#46, AMCRC#974,  NHRA#41915, IHRA#6766

If you're just planning a 'heap' to shoot the
strip in - you've still qualifications you'll need
to meet.

he knows the car - >>knows the classes << -

1st timers get the Drag Racing 'JOnes'
and forge headlong into a build before knowing
what Class they will compete in.

they 'build' according to what will gain them the 'most'
speed for the least dollars in a heavy car - sometimes this puts them
in the 'Open' comps - where anything goes - and their
 Drag Racing's equivalent of 'Roman Gladiator Wars' - 'Big Foot'
against 'Sponge Bob' -
so look toward a Class to thrash.

Within a Class, you'll know what body mods - engine swaps - trans
swaps -
part years allowable etc. those that will work for a particular
Class that you WILL be competitive in - Research -
then
 Build for
That Class - >

I would utilize the amc-list : = "Ask Jock" = feature.

Documentation during the build
will also give Frank a 'New Article' for his Magazine too!;)

Fourth - finish your #1 'Ghost' - first and foremost - period.

Your real close .....so - put ALL your monies
there - 'Finish the Mission' - ,

it will be impossible
to do once the Racer build comes on line.

It may turn out you'd be happiest with 'Ghost'
built to the 'Max' - with occasional trips thru
the lights rather than a dedicated Racer -
but that will be your call after you finish #1.

Any Racer regardless is a 'Black Hole Money Pit' -

like keeping a women in a cross town Hotel......
they're 'fast', your addicted, she 'needs' and you're
selling to deliver....... so be prepared -
'parts break'.........they measure in the  Thousands
of Dollars...... perhaps not all at once.... depending.

The Racer shellwork that you can complete
without spending any monies could be done as
permits , but my vote is to focus
on completing your street ride - to the way you've wanted
it done with no scrimping or short changing - so you have it
when the Racer takes a dump at the track - for solace.

reasons again :

Any speed costs money - a 'built' 327 can
set you back thousands - then a trans for a $k notes more -
complete front suspension - complete rear and suspension -
fuel cell - safety harness - tires - rim widening - radiator -
engine mounts - trans mounts - BRAKES - lines - hoses -
'stuff' - fluids - scatter shield ........ headers ?

'The AMC Racer ladder' :

Although I am 'Banned' from mentioning Falfa's real name...,
one Lister here who has his own site:
BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

has built / is building a Racing Gremlin on
a 'Normal Persons' budget, i's active on all the AMC sites -
'GreasedGremlin' ?
not sure - think this is one of his monikers.

Good guy - he might fill you in on the pit falls of
just starting out an AMC build - to avoid back tracking on
AMC parts selections -
he'll know the biggest 'bang for the buck' when
climbing the AMC Drag Racing  budget ladder .

Lurk the Forum at Bulltear.com > these guys
build - blow up & create parts for AMCs - great
reads & they will answer questions when they're sober.

Final thoughts:

'Ghost' #1
'Racer' # in Stages.

        =Bt=