Re: [Amc-list] axle pulling time ...was Droning American

Re: [Amc-list] axle pulling time ...was Droning American

Packing the outer bearing good with synthetic grease is definitely a
good idea! The fact is that as long as the bearing is protected from the
elements and is in good condition, it will last. That's why torque tube
u-joints come out of 40 years old cars with over 100K on them and are
still nearly as tight as the day they were put in -- no discernable
wear. The outer axle bearing does carry more weight, but it's a big
roller bearing -- much bigger than u-joint needle bearings. Outer axle
bearings typically start to fail when the seal wears out (or rather
breaks down with age and heat cycles from the brakes) and starts letting
foreign matter in.

Just remember to replace the races with the bearings! Those will be
tricky to pull without a slide hammer, but can be done. I bent the end
of a good flat blade screwdriver, then clamped an old pair of vice grips
near the base of the handle. Hold in place and "tap" with a hammer to
pull the race, working around it. Takes a bit of time, but works!