Re: [Amc-list] axle pulling time ...was Droning American

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Keleigh Hardie wrote:

> My guess is that it's less likely to leak into the brakes and cause
> safety problems. I've seen this happen on cars that use the gear oil to
> lubricate the bearings...

Good point -- it's probably more fail-safe. The oil seal that
would be required for that app would then itself fail eventually,
the axle gears lose lube, plus you'd lose brakes. A dud grease
seal doesn't leak much lube into the brake area. Bearings go
dry and start yelling at you for attention.