[Amc-list] REBEL MACHINE WHEEL REPAIR & RESTORATION

[Amc-list] REBEL MACHINE WHEEL REPAIR & RESTORATION

To my brothers and sisters in AMC land,
It is with regret that I need to inform you that by the end of this
summer I will be shutting down the wheel repair service I began
approximately 3 years ago. To date, I'm at 21 completed sets and so far,
nothing but happy customers. Most folks told me the finished product
exceeded their expectations. As George Harrison said, 'All Things Must
Pass'.

I swung by my body shop buddy's place today and he informed me that his
wife has left him and he's involved in a bitter divorce situation. He
has 2 younger children. His attorney is advising him to sell off his
assets and liquidate everything. He's belief is the business will be
gone in the next 3-6 months and all his equipment and tools will also be
history. She was the office manager and he says he doesn't have the
heart to keep working there any longer. He said he's probably going back
to WV and never stepping foot in FL again. As he was the only person on
the planet (that I knew) that would work on these wheels for me locally,
I'm not going to be able to continue to provide the service. The color
and texture are pretty tough to replicate and Fred really had it down to
a science. I must have made the rounds to more than 10 bodyshops in the
beginning and he was the only guy that would give it a try. Nobody else
wanted to touch the wheels. Anyway, I was the guy that tapped off the
trim rings and did the dirt work with the machining and primer/sanding
and carting everything all over the universe. Fred did magic with the
paint and he did a great job. I asked him if he would do a few more sets
for me and he said "sure for the next 3 - 6 months I can but after that
we're done".

Any of you guys who have called me or written to me about doing some
wheels for you now is the time to act. I know it's expensive but keep in
mind 75% of the cost is in trim ring repair and re-rimming costs. These
are 2 skills I don't have and so, to complete the wheels, I have to sub
out to the best people I can find. The results speak for themselves.
Keep it in mind as we head into the show car season. I'm going to get 1
more set done for myself and then that's that. To all my customers
thanks for your business and thanks for sharing your AMC stories with
me.

Jeffrey Thomas
407-356-4727
71 Jav AMX - Electric Blue 4 speed 360